Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Making Memories: Wedding Quilt

In anticipation of our wedding, Chris and I decided we did not want the traditional guest book.  We felt that too often it gets pushed into the depths of a bookcase and never looked at again.  We wanted to treasure the well-wishes of our family and friends, and therefore decided on a quilt. 


It helps that Chris's mother is an avid and talented quilter.  She has taught me a bit, but I've only pulled off one so far.  As frequently happens, she had me design it, and help choose fabrics and colors.  (I'll have to show your our master's bed quilt she made.  Oh, she did not think that the color and design would work, but it's now one of her favorite pieces.)  I assisted the concept by embroidering the center square.



I was very pleased with how it turned out, and it continued the colors and butterfly theme from the wedding.  The shades of the colors are obviously a little more subdued, though, just so that they would work in our house. 

What was so special about this, was that guests were invited to sign the white squares of the quilt will well-wishes, thoughts, and memories of the day.  Some people, gave advice:


Much appreciated, Cathy!!!

Some people voiced their football opinions:


And, finally, my Aunt Polly can be relied upon to tell us to get on having kids:


This is quite possibly one of my most treasured possessions now and is hung prominently in our guest room.  Thank you so much Mrs. P!!!  (and everyone who wrote comments)

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, what a brilliant idea - I absolutely love it! And I'm always so envious of women who quilt, I wish I had that patience and talent!

    ReplyDelete