Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bean Bag Board Bonanza

We are holding them up for assembly and photos.  They have short legs so that they sit on the typical low slant.

These boards were created in early July, but I never got around to posting them.  I have a slight problem with the name.  Yes, they're "cornhole" boards, but I feel entirely too much like Beevus and/or Butthead saying it.  Oh well.  Whatever you want to call them, I am truly excellent at the game.  No false modesty here.  The entire time we played at Buffett, my team only lost once. 

Yes, there were some mixed reactions.  Obviously, we decided to honor both Ohio State and Penn State.  We had a few passers-by stop and comment on their preference.  Actually on both sides!  It was a pleasant surprise to run into OSU alums in the Philly area!

I am currently in the process of designing and constructing two more sets.  One for us, one for some friends.  We like these boards, but constructed them out of 3/4" plywood, and they are quite heavy.  These will be kept permanently at our home, and we will manufacture a new set out of 1/2" plywood for tailgating.

The other change we would make is to use a router to cut the hole in the board.  Chris was very frustrated that the circle isn't perfect after using a jigsaw to cut it out.  I drew the circle with a homemade compass made from a pencil tied to a string.

As for painting the logos, I absolutely cheated.  I printed out logos on the computer, cut them out with an X-acto knife, traced them, taped out the shape, and painted it.  It's not as bad as using a sticker, but I can't claim much artistic talent.  Chris is wanting me to paint murals on round two, so you'll get to see what talent I may or may not have soon!

3 comments:

  1. Cornhole... bwa hahahaha! I had never heard of it before last summer, when we got invited to a "Cornhole Party." Um, yeah.

    I think your boards look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bean bag games certainly bring back memories of college tailgating and parties. Or elementary school carnivals. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of cornholes before - but you make it sound fun.

    And dirty.

    ReplyDelete