Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday 5: Biggest Postpartum Surprises



It's only fair to balance out pregnancy surprises with what I've learned since Robby's been born.  Right?  Even if he's only 11 days old?  I'm sure as he grows, I'll continue to be amazed.


1.  No baby blues!  I think that baby blues and postpartum depression have come an amazingly long way from being the untold secret of new moms, to well-known.  By NO means am I belittling the problem, or making light of a very difficult circumstance should you encounter it, but I just had been so inundated by information that I assumed it would happen to me.  Between doctors always bringing it up in appointments, insurance sending information, receiving notices about support groups, and even that they highly encouraged me to take medication immediately after birth because my "history put me at a greater risk"... nothing.  If anything, I had more trouble with depression and negative thoughts DURING pregnancy.  I'm feeling very upbeat and happy now that he's here!  Therefore, I am THRILLED that I refused to take Zoloft in the hospital, and insisted on the "wait and see" method.  Because, no, not everyone experiences the blues.


2.  The Lion would hate "baths"  His umbilical cord stump has fallen off, but the pediatrician said to still wait a couple more days to give "real" baths, as it still looked like it could harden up.  Therefore, "baths" means wiping him down with a washcloth.  You'd think we were torturing him.  It is not a pleasant experience.


3.  Weight loss  I know this is getting to be old news, and I'll try to stop being so effusive about it soon, but I thought it would be more of a struggle!  However, my co-worker (who looks phenomenal after her 3rd child) predicted that the first 20 pounds would fall off, and then the last 10 I'd really have to work for.  As I've been stuck at 20 for 2 days, that has crossed my mind more than a few times.  And then I remind myself that it's been TWO DAYS and to get over it.  I have started some minor "exercise", so we'll see how it goes from here!


4.  How SOON I'd be up for exercise  Yesterday, I couldn't take it anymore.  I was going stir-crazy and feeling pretty good.  So I both took a stroller walk with Robby earlier on, and then once Chris got home, left Robby in his care, and took Harper out for a couple miles.  I was a LITTLE achy last night, but really, not too bad, so I'm very pleased to know that a whole new world is back at my fingertips.

The other exercise I'm doing?  Entirely kid related.  My biceps are getting toned because the Lion never wants to be set down, but he's also encouraging a great stomach exercise.  He truly enjoys "standing" (almost entirely through my help) on my stomach and getting bounced as I tighten my abs.  Hey, great win for both of us.


5.  How awake the Lion would be  This is an odd statement, as he's currently asleep, but he really has been awake a very large portion of most days.  He doesn't seem all that much like a "newborn".  But, most of the time he's pretty happy as long as he's being held.  So, I really enjoy the interaction I get to have with him!  

Join in on Kat's fun!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS LIST! And I am so with you on the last one - I couldn't WAIT to get my butt back in gear. Finding time to do it repeatedly was a whole other ordeal but I was SO antsy to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list! #1 is so great to hear. I haven't had kids yet, but I have a history of depression and I've always worried about that! I'll have to keep looking at your blog..your son is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha so interesting! i had a baby 6 weeks ago so i can relate!

    ReplyDelete