Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blurry Asian-Inspired Coleslaw

You'd think that after one of these horrible posts, I'd finally call Canon and look into getting my camera repaired.  Well, I haven't yet, so here is yet another out-of-focus post.  My dilemma was what to do with 1/2 a cabbage I had left from making Pad Thai earlier this week.  Obviously, you make coleslaw.  I'm very opinionated about coleslaw, though.  It should NOT be creamy.  Blame that on the lactose intolerance.  It also MUST have vinegar.  Now this is walking a fine line towards an item my husband would be unwilling to eat.  To the rescue?  Peanut butter.  Yes, peanut butter.

First, you should clean off your counters before taking pictures.  I failed.  Above you see a pasta scoop, coffee grinder, dog medicine, and Chris's new favorite wine next to the plastic bag I had stored the cabbage 1/2 in.  This picture will not be winning any awards.  However, slice up the cabbage, some carrots, and 1/2 an onion.  I will be putting it in a food processor later today because the strips were still a little big for our taste.  Usually I will run the cabbage through on the shredder, but for some reason, I decided to practice my knife skills.


See?  I actually can get everything quite fine...just not fine enough.  Ah well...easy to fix. 

This blurry number is what it would look like if you looked at the finished product after having your eyes dilated.  I mixed in the sauce here.  Just believe me on that one.  Or try the recipe below.  I do have to give you a heads up that it is NOT overly dressed, so if you like your coleslaw dripping, you might want to up the proportions.

Asian-influenced Coleslaw

Ingredients:
1/2 a cabbage shredded
About 10? baby carrots shredded or finely julienned
1/2 an onion finely diced (I hate raw onion, so I get it as small as possible to make my husband happy)

3 Tbl white wine  vinegar
3 Tbl vegetable oil
Drizzle of sesame oil
2.5 Tbl peanut butter
1.5 Tbl soy sauce (I'll always be heavy-handed with soy, though, and add more)
1.5 Tbl brown sugar
1/2 Tsp ground ginger
Tbl of diced garlic (I also like things heavy on the garlic)

1)  Mix together veggies
2)  Mix together sauce
3)  Mix together everything
4)  Enjoy

Some chopped peanuts wouldn't be bad on top either, so feel free to go to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment