Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Before I Forget: Spanish Rice

Alright, I know I need to move on, and let a new post take the first position.  I've been avoiding it.  In part because I can't find much to say.  However, I made a pretty fantastic version of Spanish rice this weekend, and while I was a terrible blogger, and failed to take a picture, I am going to try and recall what I did, so that I can recreate it in the future.

As a warning, you should know that I rarely follow a recipe exactly, if I attempt to follow one at all.  More often, I randomly start throwing things together that sound good.  It usually works out well, though.  There have been a few times that were complete disasters, too.  This one, was delicious, and will be kept for posterity.

Spanish Rice

Ingredients:

1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl olive oil
1 green pepper, chopped
2 small onions, fine dice
2 small hot peppers (not too spicy?  I grow these, and have no idea what they are.  Less spicy than a jalepeno), fine dice
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
1/2 a Tbl??? Emeril's Southwest Seasoning (approximate guess here)
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup rice
1 can V8 (soda-sized can?  is that like 12 oz?)
1 can black beans
Water

Directions:
Alright, I love risottos, so I took that style of approach.

1)  Melt the butter and olive oil in a deep skillet.  Add the pepper, onions, hot peppers, and corn.  Sprinkle liberally with the Southwest Seasoning, and saute until the onions begin to look translucent, and the veggies soften.
2)  Add the chopped tomato and the rice.  Allow the rice to heat a bit, but not burn before adding liquid.
3)  Add the can of V8, let it soak in a bit.  Add the can of rinsed black beans.
4)  Continue to add water about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time, and let it cook down on a slow simmer.  You should add more water when it starts to dry, and as long as the rice isn't cooked thoroughly.  This will usually take about 2 1/2 cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice?  Remember, the V8 is liquid, though won't be as much moisture as the water.  So...I may have added about another cup and 1/2? 

Alright, there's insight into how I cook.  Aren't you scared?  Little of this, little of that...sounds good.  Enjoy!

** Note for you meat-eaters:  The next day, Chris threw some cooked kielbasa into his portion and said it was wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Well it looks delicious. It seems you improvise well.

    Just read the post about your loss last week. So sorry Katy.

    ReplyDelete