Sunday, January 31, 2010

Simple Sunday

So, recently, a friend of mine commented that she cracked up at a party when she had two similar conversations in about 5 minutes. Jen walked in, someone complimented the dish she brought, and she said, "Oh, it was so easy!" and listed 3 ingredients. Shortly after, I walked in, got a compliment, and said, "Oh, it was so easy!" and listed about 12. In an effort to prove I can cook without a fully stocked pantry, here's a recipe with 6 ingredients. All of which you should have on hand.

Potato Pancakes

Being of Irish descent, you'd think I know my potato. These are a nod to my in-laws, however. They are 2nd-generation Slovenian-American and KNOW their Eastern European food.
What you need: potato, onion, salt, pepper, oil, and egg


I like my potato to onion ration about 4 to 1. But I like to TASTE the onion. You may want to tone it down.


Peel and quarter your onions and potatoes.


Shred them using a food processor (man, I love these things), or by hand if you aren't equipped.


Step I forgot: Squeeze out the excess liquid. NECESSARY. I had to fudge it later. Put in an egg, and salt and pepper to taste.


Heat oil to medium high.
Make a ball of shredded potato gunk.
Put in hot pan and squish down flat.
Cook for about 4 minutes a side. Make sure there's enough oil for each batch. Dry pan=dry pancakes.
Enjoy! (We like ketchup. I've heard some people do sour cream or applesauce, but ew!)






2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. I do like mine with sour cream. Try it sometime!

    Hey - thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my contest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good! I love potato pancakes! I'll have to try this! Thanks for the comment on my blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete