Friday, March 1, 2013

Working in Another State


At work in NYC I have this picture directly under my computer monitor, and will often stop, sigh, maybe grin.  It's been hard to be away, but I also have to admit that it's been a bit of a vacation.  Generally, my head is in such a better place, that life is good.  I really enjoy the challenge of my new job.  It is the first time in years I've felt intelligent, and capable, and useful.  It's amazing what being busy and having a lot of challenging dilemmas presented to you can do for your self-perception. I had felt much too stagnant for much too long.

Beyond just finally liking the work, I love my new co-workers.  I have already made some very good friends, and generally like most everyone.  Even if part of my job is to be a PITA, and people don't always take that well. ;). Also, being away from my family, it gives me more time to socialize with all of them.  We go out to dinner together most nights, and often hit the gym together (ok, not that often) or end up in each others' rooms until all hours of the night.  My schedule is so screwy.  But I'm still getting more sleep than I ever could have dreamed of since having children.  Six or seven hours most nights.  I know!  Not only that, I don't have to cook clean, or even do laundry.  It's quite blissful.

I don't know how it will work once I get home.  I am replacing multiple people because they still need to hire more, so I have a lot on my plate.  That's not so hard when alone in a hotel, but we shall see in the future.  I'm also worried about the longer commute.  But it'll be ok.

Robby's doing well with it.  Apparently he usually cries for around 15 minutes when I leave, and will ask about me every hour or so, but he likes getting to see the trains.  He at least was still my cuddly little man when I got home last weekend.  Though he did try and misbehave a lot more than usual for me.

Generally, I couldn't ask for more.  I like my job.  I finally feel more like the social person I used to know.  My husband is doing a wonderful job holding down the fort.  I can't really edit this on the train, so you get to see TONS of typos and a picture turned the wrong way,but I've got to put it up, or it will never happen.  I'm almost home!!!!  YAY!


3 comments:

  1. It's great you are finding your new job challenging and fun! I can only imagine what a struggle it must be to be away from your son during the week, but I'm sure once you are back home it will turn out great :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw i'm so glad that you're loving it. must be hard though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all is well with the new job so far.

    ReplyDelete