AMISH WHITE BREAD
(mostly from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-White-Bread/Detail.aspx)
- 2 cups warm water
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to sit for about 1/2 an hour or until foamy.
- Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour a bit at a time. Make sure there are no lumps. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover. Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two oiled loaf pans. Allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.